Miami – Downtown Miami: Gesù Church
Image by wallyg
Gesù Church was founded in 1896 as the Holy Name Parish by Father Ambrose Fontan and is the oldest Catholic Church in Miami. A new church was constructed in 1897 on land donated by Henry Flagler, but the parish quickly outgrew the small wooden church. The current church building, at 118 Northeast Street, was built in 1925 to the design of Orin T. Williams.
The external simplified Mediterranean revival style exterior is distinguished by a monumental triple-arched portico, crowned by a tripartite bell tower with triple decorative arches. The rich interior decoration, in the Baroque decorative tradition, was not completed until the 1950’s.
Gesu Church continues to serve as one of the three downtown churches and was recently restored to its original appearance. The parish has been staffed by the Jesuits of Antilles province since 2004. Previously it was staffed by the Jesuits of New Orleans province.
National Register #74000617 (1974)
Downtown Miami Historic District #05001356 (2005)